Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Buzz About Self-Publishing

When I was scouring the Web for blogs and websites for my under-construction Link List, I saw that many writers were talking about this article in the Sunday New York Times Book Section: "Self-Publishers Flourish as Writers Pay the Tab."


For self-published writers hoping to be discovered by a major publishing house, this article is bubble-bursting. Many writers, however, are aiming for a smaller market, or a very specific readership, which I thought was an aspect the article didn't address in much detail. My upcoming Lulu.com book, for instance, is a compilation of writing prompts. I briefly considered putting together a proposal and going for conventional publication, but then I did a quick Amazon check on books of writing prompts. I didn't count up the number of hits I got, but it didn't take me long to see that the odds of getting a book of prompts published is slim. However, for my non-fiction book about my years working for the police department, I don't think I'd go with self-publishing, even if I'm unable to place it conventionally--but not because of the "stigma" of self-publishing. It's just not the type of book that does well, typically, as a self-published title.

What do you think? Is self-publishing becoming more accepted, or do you think it still carries a negative image?
_______________
Photo courtesy of Zsuzsanna Kilián at http://www.sxc.hu/photo/1067227

No comments: